Sunday, August 9, 2009

Road To Emmaus


"This is our highway to heaven. Our American dream. Two fools on the road to Emmaus. Well it might as well be you and me." Jason Upton
I love this song. But for the longest time I didn't really know what it meant. This is why I started this blog. Not only for those of you who care to keep up with us, but to leave a mark on this path.
To not live my life so foolishly that I miss what is happening all around me. What God is doing all around me.
In Luke 24, it tells about what was going on after Christ was crucified. V.13 begins with these two men walking along this road, the Road To Emmaus and talking intently about the past three days events. Along comes a man and begins to chat with them. He asks what they are talking about and why they look so down. The two men are in shock that this fellow hasn't heard all that has happened in town. They begin to tell him about Jesus and being wrongly judged and sentenced to a horrible death. They are so upset that the rumors they heard about Jesus being the One to save Israel must not be true because alas the tomb is empty. All this time they had believed in the prophets and now even the body of the Savior cannot be found. The man walking with them says, "How foolish you are, and how slow of heart to listen to all that the prophets have said." It was Jesus all along. Walking with them, listening to their sob story and they were missing the glory. They were so caught up in the "woe is me" and "look what has happened to us" that they didn't even recognize He was right there with them.
THIS IS US! Our nation, our culture, our children. We don't listen, we think we know it all. We think we've got life all figured out. We are not teaching our children to listen to that 'still small voice' when it is right there next to us. We cannot afford to be those 'fools' on the road. Can you imagine the conversation had they known they were walking with Jesus? I bet it would have gone completely different. I do not want to be a fool on the road. I want to see Him in everything, in everyday, in every conversation, in every smile, tear, and embrace. I do not want to miss Him. And so, I'm teaching my little ones to recognize. Do not be so caught up in the worries of the world, when we are not of this world, that you miss what He is doing with you, where He is taking you.
"Do you ever get angry at the homeless? Do you ever throw your dollar in disgust? Do you ever get so angry that you can't see what you've got, right in front of you." Jason Upton, Road to Emmaus

1 comment:

  1. I think so. See more of my comments on http://noconvert.blogspot.com/2009/08/information-overload.html#comments

    ReplyDelete