Monday, August 17, 2009

New Glasses

Who would have thought that much complaining would lead to a HUGE blessing. I must first say, if you ever hear me complain, first stop me in my blubbering thoughts, and second, I'm not doing it to GET a blessing. With that said, I was completely unaware of how my words were coming out.
My sister, Lori and I have a date every Wednesday. I very much look forward to Wednesdays now. Sometimes we secretly meet for lunch, this is to say that we eat at La Hacienda when there is little money in my pocket and her husband doesn't like Mexican, so that is a very reasonable excuse to eat out. (the secret in this is that our poor husbands are probably stuck in their offices eating left overs from the night before) Sometimes I go to her house with Naomi and we chat and eat a whole box of crackers in her bed. And sometimes she comes over here with my nieces and they play with Norah on the trampoline in the blazing sun. No matter where we are, it's our time. I love it. So recently, Lori was here at my house. Long chats, lots of fun, venting, all the things sisters do when they gab. And I started to tell Lori how, come tax return, I was going to invest in some glasses. See, investing being the key word here. Dollar store glasses have worn out their welcome. You get the option of either 2.00, 2.25, 2.75, etc. When you put these ingenious glasses on, everything right in front of you seems magnificently larger, but when you look up, the world is now a total blur. I'm sorry, how is this supposed to help me with seeing things farther away? That's right, it's the dollar store, and they are dollar store glasses. I've been straining and squinting for some time now, and let's face it, a lady squinting all the time is really very unattractive. I was having trouble seeing road signs (even during the day), reading things on TV, and the PowerPoint at church (that sounds so pathetically high-tech when I put it like that...). So, all this straining has become rather old and I'm telling Lori how February won't come soon enough.
That weekend, I get an email from her telling me she has made plans for us. She insists that I must be ready and out the door by 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday. I must also bring a bottle for Naomi as I will not be able to feed her for about 45 minutes. My minds begins to wonder...how exciting. It's like a REAL date (minus the fact that I'm bringing my three month old daughter and it's with my sister not my husband, beggers can't be choosers). I had my ideas of where we might be going, but then I shot them down because none of them made any sense. We left the house promptly at 10:00 and began the drive. Chat, chat, chat while driving. I thought for sure she'd blind fold me or something. Finally, we pull into a EyeGlass World and it didn't occur to me until we were really getting out of the vehicle why we were there. How awesome!! What a surprise!!
I had a wonderful dr. tell me he blames the eye problems on the children. Chuckle. After telling him all the things I'm having trouble seeing, he tells me it's time to: stop driving altogether, get a bigger TV, and quite going to church. Chuckle. That is his Rx. As he's writing out the actual prescription for glasses, he tells me he can write one for Ryan for a larger tv. I told him, "My husband would really appreciate that."
With Lori holding Naomi, and me holding about five pairs of glasses, trying to decide, I would put one pair on, get her opinion then put another pair on. After much deliberation, she helped me pick out two new pairs of glasses. What a wonderful blessing. When we handed them over to the tech to get them ready, I told Lori how much I appreciated this. I never could have imagined this is what she had in mind. She told me, "Six months is too long to wait for glasses."
Lori, I love you. You're amazing. Glasses or not, I had a perfect day with you!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new glasses, Lori! They look wonderful on you and are probably more helpful than your dollar store. Did you kknow that August is Children's Eye Health & Safety Month? It's a good time to have Nathan, Norah, and Naomi's eyes checked too.

    Here's a fun post from the VSP Blog about Children's Eye HEalth & Safety Month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you weren't "seeking a blessing." But I was able to provide because God is the Provider. I was also blessed that day, just being with you. I, too, cherish our time together. It was sweet of you to give me credit, but I remember times you've bought something I had my eye on. What good is our life if we cannot have a positive impact on those around us? By the way, awesome pic! You look great!

    ReplyDelete